Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Lost in the Jungle


Greetings! I've tried to maintain blogs in the past and have failed hopelessly due to work commitments and lack of time and a host of other weak excuses. The main reason though is the time commitment needed by my job. I'm a television producer /documentary maker - with a complete bias towards Asian natural history, wildlife conservation and environmental issues. I've been working in the industry for the past 10 years and am now based in Singapore, after having spent most of my life in the UK, with occasional stints in South Asia.

Last year I embarked on the next stage of my directorial evolution; being commissioned by Discovery Channel to produce a one hour documentary about wildlife in the island of Sri Lanka. More about this as the project progresses.

To be able to sit in one place and concentrate on writing and recovering from years of getting lost in jungles and generally not looking after myself - I have started off the new year with a nice long stretch of leave - basically to rest and recuperate and catch up with things I've left on the backburner for too long. Hence the renewed effort of maintaining a blog - should be much easier now (in theory).

Anyway during much of my career,
I've been to some pretty interesting wild places around the world, particularly around Asia. I've met some pretty bizarre people, witnessed unbelievable animal behaviour, and had some really strange encounters in some God-forsaken locations. But with tight production schedules and unrealistic delivery deadlines, I've never had the chance to talk in more detail about this other side of the documentary-making experience.

Well I guess now's a good time as any to do that...

Cheers,
Charith

No comments: